Saturday, August 26, 2006

Peace and postcards



Prayers For Peace...This quilt started several months ago, after a play day with my heat gun. I melted the synthetics to the black tulle, set it against the chartreuse sheer with imprinted swirls and waited. A few weeks ago, I thought about using the silk cocoons, to insert prayers into, but then settled on the rovings (I hope I'm using the right terminology, I threw out the package). I wrote my prayers on cinnamon sticks, inserted into the silk rovings, tied them with multi-colored chenille yarn. I thought the background fabric set it off nicely, adding an Asian flair...this could be a prayer scroll from anywhere, Asia, the Middle East, Africa, the America's...we all share the same universal prayer for Peace.

Prayers For Peace measures 23" Wide X 17" High and will be part of the PAQA-South ARTQUILTSfive exhibit, opening in late September. http://www.artquiltersouth.org/


I also sent out some postcards to the Fiberart For A Cause sale at the International Quilt Festival in Houston during October. This event raised more than $50,000 for the American Cancer Society last year, and is sure to beat that figure this year. Each mailable fiber postcard sells for $30, and makes the perfect pick me up or affordable work of art to keep. You can learn more about FFAC at http://www.virginiaspiegel.com/NewFiles/ACS/IQFPreview.html

When I was battling cancer last year, it was such a delight to receive fiber postcards in my mail, from all over the world. And my post-mistress loved it too!

Below are the images of the cards I sent to FFAC last week (sorry about the bad photography). I try to put a little whimsy in them, and hope the recipients enjoy them as much as I did making them.


Pigs Fly II is a result of the Fiberart Trading Group challenge. We created two cards, one to trade and one to donate to FFAC. In this instance, I created three...one was sent to my stepfather who is battling cancer right now. I thought it was important to have a subject that a man could get a laugh out of. When I heard about the tornado that hit the Jimmy Dean plant, all I could think about was...well if pigs can now fly...



The two Pink Power cards were created during playtime. I just love playing with my heat gun. They honor an old friend who recently passed away from breast cancer, and the opportunities that are lost. Remember, now and then...just stop and play.



Hope is the result of another play day. The soft furry fabric is so much fun to just touch.







And my frogs are just for fun too. It is so important to maintain some humor during adverse times. Imagine the life of a frog...just lazing around with nothing better to do than catch flies.

Please take a few moments to visit FFAC, and see all that Virginia Speigel has accomplished. I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to participate in this very important project, and that I took the time to just have fun and enjoy it!


http://www.virginiaspiegel.com/NewFiles/ACS/IQFPreview.html

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness! Prayers for Peace is just stunning!

Anonymous said...

Ann,
Your Prayers for Peace is beautiful. Wish I could see it in person.

Sarah Ann Smith said...

Ann...the scroll for Peace is breathtaking....congratulations!

Cheers, Sarah

Anonymous said...

Ann,

I purchased your postcard "HOPE" at the IQA Quilt Festival last week. It is beautiful and it is a joy to own it. Thank you for your donation to help fight cancer.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March of 2005. My cancer was found very early and my prognosis is very good.

Blessings, Caroline

Anonymous said...

Prayers for Peace is so beautiful Ann! Putting prayers inside the sticks is wonderfuly intimate and mysterious and powerful. Did you do all the quilting in the background fabric? It's beautiful too. I think your piece is a wonderful blend of cultures. thx for sharing.